Saturday, November 3, 2012

Review: The Intruders by Olive Peart


The Intruders by Olive Peart
Paperback
, 272 pages
Published February 20th 2010 by Demarche Publishing LLC
Goodreads|Amazon

Six teenagers from the Bronx set out to explore a cave in their neighborhood and end up three centuries into the future. After saving the life of one member of a tribe, the Bronx teens are accepted. Within weeks, however, they find themselves in the middle of a fight for survival. Another tribe living in Manhattan is bent on wiping out the tribe in the Bronx. These teenagers have a unique advantage in this warthey know the land. For the six, this becomes a true adventure. However, all too soon their adventure becomes very real. Their dog dies, and now both friends and enemies are getting killed. This was no longer fun this was war!

Unfortunately I don’t have a lot to say about this book because I did not finish it. I read about 40% of the way through before I gave up. There were quite a few things that I did not like about though.

The writing style was not my favorite. When I first started reading I felt like I was reading something a kid wrote.

I felt that the character building (or characters in general) could have been much better. I was not convinced at all that I was reading about a group of kids from the Bronx. One of the boys liked to use “Shirts!” as his exclamation. I’m sorry but I don’t think a teenage boy is going to use that to say when he is mad or frustrated. Even one that doesn’t cuss I don’t think would say that.

 I felt the way they “handled” their time travel was not realistic at all. They walked out of the cave and everybody immediately agreed that they had time traveled and that it was ok to cook and eat a wild coyote. I just felt that was weird.

After trying to get into the book I had to put it down.
I am also not a fan of this cover.

My Rating:


*I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!