Friday, November 2, 2012

Review: Blind Spot by Laura Ellen


Blind Spot by Laura Ellen
Hardcover
, 336 pages
Published October 23rd 2012 by Harcourt Children's Books
Goodreads|Amazon

There’s none so blind as they that won’t see.

Seventeen-year-old Tricia Farni’s body floated to the surface of Alaska’s Birch River six months after the night she disappeared. The night Roz Hart had a fight with her. The night Roz can’t remember. Roz, who struggles with macular degeneration, is used to assembling fragments to make sense of the world around her. But this time it’s her memory that needs piecing together—to clear her name . . . to find a murderer.

This unflinchingly emotional novel is written in the powerful first-person voice of a legally blind teen who just wants to be like everyone else.

This was Laura Ellen’s debut novel and I think she did quite well with it. At first I was questioning this book but about half way through I was hooked. There was never a bad part of the book or anything but there are certain chapters that are a little slow. I have a tendency to like drama contemporary books though.

The girl made some clearly dumb decisions regarding her boyfriend but I could see the reasoning behind it. The whole story is about her trying to fit in and act normal.

The teacher, Mr. Dellian, was extremely mean to her! I can’t believe he got away with marking her absent all those times and only one person in the class (her friend) stood up for her. Don’t worry that’s not really a spoiler.

Her mother was not a very good mother that’s for sure. She was always gone out drinking or dating different men. Her father was a UFO hunter, roz’s real name is Roswell, with the same eye problem as Roz.

All of her friends are rather forgiving of her, especially after her stent towards the end of the book.  As with almost drama driven contemporary books there are a couple friends that definitely don’t act like friends.

Overall I really liked this book and I thought the plot was great. I recommend this.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!