Monday, July 16, 2012

Review: The Dead Cell by John Barker, Scott DM Simmons


By John Barker, Scott DM Simmons
Release Date: July 12, 2011
Publisher: Acrana Studio

How would the world be changed if the mentally ill were allowed to determine reality?

The Dead Cell explores the experiments of the recently graduated Monica McCoy, and her employment with the top secret ”Dream Research Program” at Breckenridge State Hospital. While being briefed on the basics, nothing can prepare her for the horrors she encounters upon reporting for duty.

What ensues is a tale of madness, reality, and the supernatural chronicling one woman’s journey as she comes face to face with the horror of The Dead Cell.


I enjoyed the story itself and I believe this could make a good novel with the right details added. The ending was a pleasant surprise which I really enjoyed.  I liked how each dream sequence had the same base but they each ended differently based on how the person reacted to the situation.

I think the Segway into the dream sequences could have been done differently. When I first started the book I was a little confused about what was going on but caught on pretty quickly. I also wish that there could have been some color in the book. For example, the parts with the doctor could have been in color while the dreams where in black and white. I think that would really add to the book.

A couple little side notes. I found a spelling error on one of the pages. I thought that was weird. Also, my husband went to school with the author (John Barker) and he was able to get it signed.


Read on: Paperback, 78 pages
Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!