Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July Book Haul #1

I received these books on Monday from an order I placed from Bookcloseouts. For those of you that don't know, It is a discount website for leftover books. Pretty much every book has a remainder mark on it but all the ones I have received have been in great condition. They do have a scratch and dent section though and they also have autographed books.

This order was made when they had an extra 50% off their children's fiction section. That includes books that are labeled YA. The sale ended June 27th. Naturally I had placed an order about 2 days before they decided to have this sale so I was *forced* to place another ;-).

It is hit or miss with this website. I suggest that if you find a book you really want and they don't have a lot of copies. Get it. It will probably be gone next week. The prices are great. If the quantity is available for the books I want I try to check the new arrivals section everyday and build my cart for about 3 days or so.

Anyway let's get on with it!
  • Scary Stories: The Complete 3-book Collection - Alvin Schwartz
    • Check the synopsis here, here, and here for all 3 books.
    • This includes Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill your Bones. Man talk about a flashback to my childhood! I owned the first one and I loved it. Naturally I was excited to see they had a really cheap box set! These books include urban legends, physic tales, and macabre songs all collected from folklore and retold by the author. They have the original drawings in all the books. (super creepy!)
  • More Plums in One - Janet Evanovich
    • Check the synopsis here, here, and here again for all 3 books.
    • This is a bind-up of books 4-6 in Janet's "Stephanie Plum" Series. Four to scour, High Five, and Hot Six. I am slowly building this series, which includes 18 books so far, so if I can find them cheap I snatch them up. I currently own 1-6, and 13-16. I have yet to start the series.
  •  The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Catherynne M. Valente
    • The name and book cover pretty much had me wanting this book from the start. Misty from The Book Rat pretty much did me in though. So when the sale went up I couldn't resist. Flipping through the book I noticed some drawings at the top of some of the pages at the start of chapters. I love it when books have sketches or drawings throughout. Can't wait to read this one.
  • The Beatrice Letters - Lemony Snicket
    • This book is linked to the 13th book in the "Unfortunate Events" series. If you have read any of those books, you may have noticed that each book is dedicated to a lady named Beatrice. This book is set up like a file folder. It has a band that keeps it held shut so they stuff doesn't fall out. It included a poster and a pull out book of letters written between Beatrice Baudelaire and Lemony Snicket. I have read the first 3 books in the series so I will have to wait to read this one.
  • The Duff: Designated, Ugly, Fat, Friend - Kody Keplinger
    • I had heard some good things about this book and for I good price decided it was worth picking it up. I had no idea the author is younger than I am! The only bad thing I noticed about this book is that the company put the remained mark right up against the spine on the bottom of the book but also got some on the spine. Oh well... I love the fact that the book itself is bright yellow.
  • Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
    • This book stood out to me when I first really got into reading YA so I was pretty happy when I saw they had some copies. I have heard some mixed reviews on this so I hope it was a good purchase.
  • Delirium - Lauren Oliver
    • I about sh*t myself when I saw they received an order of these on the day I was planning to place mine. I can't wait to read this!
  • Heist Society - Ally Carter
    • I hadn't really heard much about this book and I actually haven't read the synopsis either. I saw it had a decent rating so I grabbed this one and my order is done!
There probably won't be anymore hauls this month because I have a TON of books in my collection that need to be read. If I can hold off for a couple months I think I can knock some of those out. Not-to-mention... I'm out of bookshelf room. I'm actually not sure where I'm going to put all these!

- Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!