Friday, August 9, 2013

Review: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol


Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Published June 7th 2011 by First Second
Paperback,
221 pages
Author: Website | Twitter | Goodreads
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository 
Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part.

Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend whos been dead for a century.

Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friendeven a ghostis just what she needs.

Or so she thinks. Spooky, sardonic, and secretly sincere, Anya's Ghost is a wonderfully entertaining debut from author/artist Vera Brosgol.


This is a YA graphic novel, which just excites me from the beginning. It’s the perfect bit of creepy and funny and it’s a really quick read. I have become pretty strict on what I give 5 stars to these days so I was really happy when I finished this book and knew immediately thats what rating I was going to give it. As soon as I was done reading it I told my husband that he really needed to read it too… I’m still trying to convince him. Anyway... I digress.
This is probably one of the best graphic novels I have read in a while. The illustrations were great and I loved how few words there actually were. The emotions, story, and everything are conveyed so well with just illustrations. Pages would go buy with just illustrations but there was still so much story there.
I loved Anya’s character. She has pretty low self-esteem and she is just striving to be noticed by the popular guy. She feels she doesn’t fit in because her family is from Russia and she was teased about it in the past.
After coming home from school one day she cuts through a park and falls down a well and this is where we are introduced to Emily. Emily has been down there for many years. She really wants Anya to be her friend. As the story goes on we notice Emily becoming more obsessed with Anya becoming popular and becoming the girlfriend of the popular guy. Who turns out to be an ass.
The way Emily evolves throughout the story is excellent. She goes from this sweet and innocent ghost to a crazy maniacal poltergeist seeking vengeance. About half way through the book you see Emily start to change and become obsessive.
The ending was just fantastic.
Do I Recommend this Book?
Absolutely! Did I mention… Neil Gaiman call this “A Masterpiece!” That is reason enough I think.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!