Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: The Walking Dead Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman


The Walking Dead Vol 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman
Illustrated by Tony Moore
The Walking Dead, #1
Paperback, 144 pages
Published September 26th 2006 by Image Comics
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living.
 
 
My Review:

This is the first and second installment of The Walking Dead series and I was so excited that my best friend’s fiancé let me borrow the first four. I have seen the first episode of the tv show so I found myself comparing the two as I was reading but they weren’t different enough to really make a difference. Really the first show only shows a fraction of the first volume.

The entire opening scene in the first book was great, especially when he wakes up in the hospital. I couldn’t imagine going through that. It would have to be terrifying! The illustrator did an awesome job portraying the emotions of the characters. The drawings of the zombies and the deaths are definitely vividly graphic. I can confidently say that if you aren’t a zombie person then you probably won’t like this series.  I love how the author made the zombies say zombie type things (i.e.: Gar! Guh. Ruh?).

I wasn’t a big fan of the love triangle but thankfully it was pretty short and I can see how something like that would probably happen in real life if people were presented with this problem. Just sometimes you think about that kind of stuff when zombies are trying to eat you. That’s about where the first volume ends.

You are introduced to quite a few people in this one so there were a lot of people to keep track of and I found myself getting confused a couple times at first but I eventually remembered them all. Not only do you get introduced to a few different people but people also die so there’s that.  Oh and on a side note, There are few kids and I can’t remember how old the main characters son is but I would never give my 6 year old a gun and I’m pretty sure that’s about how old he was.

Do I Recommend this Book/Series?

Yes! If you are a zombie person then this is a perfect zombie story. It is slightly different from the show if you are watching that though so keep that in mind. There are probably scenes where the show does it better but I really enjoyed this volume.

Will I Read the Next Book?

Definitely!

My Rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!