Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Review: Scott Pilgrim Vol. 2: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley


*WARNING* This is the second book in a series and might contain spoilers.

Scott Pilgrim Vol 2: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World by Bryan Lee O’Malley
Scott Pilgrim, #2
Hardcover, Color Edition, 223 pages
Published November 1st 2012 by Oni Press
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Does Scott and Ramona's burgeoning relationship have a future? Isn't Scott still supposedly dating Knives Chau? Who is Ramona's second evil ex-boyfriend, and why is he in Toronto? Who are The Clash At Demonhead, and what kind of bizarre art-punky music do they play? Who's their hot girl keyboardist, and what is Scott's relation to her? Why are they Knives Chau's new favourite band? Fights! Drama! Secrets revealed! The answers to all these questions and more!
 

My Review:

So obviously right off the bat I will state again that this is the second book in a series so this may contain some spoilers but I will leave out anything big.

I am totally falling in love with this series. I don’t know what took me so long to pick them up or why I had never even heard of them. This is really opening up a door for me and I can’t wait to try more manga because of this book. Anyone have any recommendations for ones that are similar to this?!

The second book continues to follow are Scott as he learns of new evil ex-boyfriends he will have to fight. Each book follows fights a new boyfriend so this is number two and we learn at the end who number 3 is. The ending to this one was pretty good by the way.

We also get a flashback to when Scott was a new kid in school and meets Kim, the drummer of their band, and another girl. This section was rather jumpy but I still enjoyed getting some new information. We also get to meet the infamous ex-girlfriend of Scott’s that totally broke his heart. Scott also goes totally momentarily crazy about a haircut comment and Knives (his high school girlfriend) goes into crazy mode. I can’t wait to see what happens with her.  

My favorite thing about these books (and it’s probably because I’m new to the whole manga thing) but I love how it’s like a video game. People explode into money when defeated, prizes pop up out of nowhere, and people can do crazy jumping and fighting moves. In the first one it surprised me and I was a little skeptical but now that I have read the second one I am really liking it.

Along with the same type of bonus extras you got with the first color edition, you also get a bonus 8 page comic called Monica Beetle. This was a pretty good story and rather funny. I love when books have bonus things included.

Do I Recommend this Book/Series?

YES! (Specifically the beautiful color editions)

Will I Read the Next Book?

Absolutely! The color edition of the 3rd volume was just released today!

My Rating:
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!