Saturday, February 2, 2013

Review: White Horse by Alex Adams


White Horse by Alex Adams
White Horse, #1
Hardcover
, 306 pages
Published April 17th 2012 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books
Goodreads|Amazon

Thirty-year-old Zoe leads an ordinary life until the end of the world arrives. She is cleaning cages and floors at Pope Pharmaceuticals when the President of the United States announces that human beings are no longer a viable species. When Zoe realizes that everyone she loves is disappearing, she starts running. Scared and alone in a shockingly changed world, she embarks on a remarkable journey of survival and redemption. Along the way, Zoe comes to see that humans are not defined by their genetic code, but rather by their actions and choices. White Horse offers hope for a broken world, where love can lead to the most unexpected places.

This is a post-apocalyptic adult novel. The novel follows Zoe around the world on her adventure. She encounters many people on the trip even though most of the world is dead or deformed monsters. Everyone is dying off from a disease they call White Horse. Some people were good, some not so much. There were certain parts where these deformed people were described and it was a little creepy. I actually liked those parts. There are couple scenes with adult content but nothing major.

The book chapters jump from “now” to “then”. The “now” time is her current adventure and what is happening at this time. The “then” time refers to right before everyone starts to get sick. It is a first person narrative only coming for Zoe’s point of view.

There are a couple plot twists. One actually comes at the very end of the book. I had to reread a section just to make sure I read it right! I did not see that coming at all. It was then that I really wanted to keep reading on.

The main characters that are talked about throughout the book are Nick, the love interest, which I actually found a little awkward. There was nothing to really say there was any loved involved. I don’t want to give away spoilers though. Lisa was another character with a good chunk of the story. She was a blind girl that decided to come with Zoe on her trip. I liked her but she did seem a little naive at times. The last of the main characters is “the Swiss”. He was creepy. He was a good character but I didn’t like him at all. There were many times I wanted to punch him for being rude or just downright mean.
Without spoiling anything I do have to say that I thought the ending was a little unbelievable. It wasn't bad though.
This was one of those books that I thought was good but it really didn’t do anything for me. There were a couple sections that seemed to drag on a little longer than necessary and sometimes I felt that complete strangers would start telling her things that would normally be too much information. I was literally sitting there asking myself why this woman was still talking. That only happened once or twice though.  Not really a big deal.

I may or may not read the second book in the series. I’m not really sure yet. If you like these types of book then I recommend it. Oh and on a side note, I like the other cover much better.

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I love these sorts of novels but do agree they can be hit or miss. I picked it up because it was so cheap the other week and has been on my wishlist for a while.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!