Thursday, February 14, 2013

Mini Review: The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen


I do mini review for short stories or Children’s books that don’t fit into my “Mini Monday”. These books still get a star rating.

The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen
Kindle Edition
, 40 pages
Published March 18th 2011 by Ripple Digital Publishing (first published 1843)
Goodreads|Amazon

A classic story by Hans Christian Andersen in its original text presented with modern illustrations. The story of how a little bird endures abuse and misery growing up, along the way he did not realizing he would mature into a beautiful swan one day. It’s a great tale about personal transformation.



I hadn’t realized until I started reading this book, that I have never read the actual Ugly Duckling story. I have read tons of kid’s versions but never the original. Obviously this story has been around for a very long time and is definitely considered a classic.

My 5 year old actually sat and listened to the entire story. I was surprised. I was even more surprised when he said that he liked the story. There were a couple different parts that he laughed at, mostly when I was reading the part about getting hit or attacked by the cat. (He is a typical boy).

There were a few small pictures scattered throughout the story but it was mostly just pages of words. My son was a little disappointed about that.

I have to say I like the updated kid’s picture books better than the original story. I had no idea it was going to be that long.  It was free on Amazon when I got it so you might to check that out if you are interested.

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I have read an ugly duckling book either.
    looks cute though
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!