Monday, February 11, 2013

Mini Monday #25



Mini Monday: Where I do two “mini” reviews on two children’s books. Each book will get a Thumbs up, Middle Thumb, or Thumbs down rating!

 

The Humongous Fungus by Periwinkle Blue
Illustrated by Michele Anderson
Hardcover
, 48 pages
Published November 16th 2011 by Arbor House Books
Goodreads|Amazon

There's something rotten in the town of Better-Than-Best, and it's not your stinky socks! Better-Than-Best is one of the prettiest, little towns you ever could enter, with all of the houses facing the center, and then the humongous fungus comes. It's black and it's thick, and it's making them sick! Ick! Some of it got on a hockey stick and all over poor Charlie Twoodle's noodles. Who can they call? What can they do? Things go from bad to worse when they call in Bubblehead Bingham Blue, an expert from Timbuktu, who claims to have the cure in the bottom of his shoe. Can they make it go away, or is the humongous fungus here to stay?


I wasn’t a big fan of this book. I was underwhelmed by the pictures. The rhyming was rather weird throughout the book and I usually like rhyming books. There is a part with a swindler that I found to be random. There is a good moral to the story though. My son liked the book too and that is the important part of a children’s book.  It was free on Amazon so I would still recommend getting it for an easy read.

My Rating:
 


Lexi Fairheart and the Forbidden Door by Lisl Fair
Illustrated by Nina de Polonia
Kindle Edition, 29 pages
Published October 20, 2012 by Brainy Connections
Amazon

If your child loves stories by Ludwig Bemelmans, Julia Donaldson, and Stan and Jan Berenstain, your child will enjoy this endearing tale about a curious little girl who gets into all sorts of trouble told by Lisl Fair.
Meet Lexi Fairheart and follow her quest to discover what is hidden behind the forbidden door at her grandpa's house.

 
I’m not really sure how I feel about this book. I found this book for free on Amazon also. The pictures throughout were pretty nice. It definitely had a good moral about listening. My son also liked the book but it was our third one of the night and I think he was a little less interested in this book.

My Rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!