Friday, January 4, 2013

Review: Frost by Marianna Baer


Frost by Marianna Baer
Hardcover
, 1st Edition, 396 pages
Published September 13th 2011 by Balzer + Bray (first published September 1st 2011)
Goodreads|Amazon

Leena Thomas’s senior year at boarding school starts with a cruel shock: Frost House, the cozy Victorian dorm where she and her best friends live, has been assigned an unexpected roommate—eccentric Celeste Lazar.

As classes get under way, strange happenings begin to bedevil Frost House: frames falling off walls, doors locking themselves, furniture toppling over. Celeste blames the housemates, convinced they want to scare her into leaving. And although Leena strives to be the peacekeeper, soon the eerie happenings in the dorm, an intense romance between Leena and Celeste’s brother, David, and the reawakening of childhood fears all push Leena to take increasingly desperate measures to feel safe. But does the threat lie with her new roommate, within Leena’s own mind…or in Frost House itself?

From debut author Marianna Baer, Frost is a stunning and surprising tale of suspense that will have readers on the edge of their seats.
 
 

 

For being her debut book I thought she did a pretty good job. There were some parts where I felt myself getting a little bored (especially in the beginning) but I just pushed through those and started to enjoy the book. I really started to enjoy the book when I got about half way through.

This is a physicological thriller about a weird house. I felt sorry for Leena at some points. Her life gets pretty messed up. She was an ok character except that she had problems with prescription meds and sometimes she made some stupid decisions. She was also obsessed with the closet in her bedroom. You’ll learn more about that in the book though.

Her friends Abby and Viv were a little self-centered, Abby to be more specific. I really didn’t like her that much. Viv was a much better friend.

David was very shady and I was wondering about him through the entire book. They didn’t so much have insta-love but it was definitely insta-lust. I can live with that though.

Celeste was CRAZY! That is something that is discussed throughout the entire book. I don’t blame everyone for not wanting her around. She was definitely a strange character.

The one thing I was a little disappointed in was the ending. I would’ve liked to see a little more from the ending but it wasn’t too bad.

Overall, I recommend picking this book up if you are in the “thriller” type of mood.

My Rating:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!