Thursday, November 22, 2012

Big Book Survey (Happy Thanksgiving!)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my US followers! I thought I would do something different for today’s post. I saw this on The Secret Life of a Bookworm and thought it would fun to do!

Big Book Survey

1. Favorite childhood book?
This is a hard one. I love Alice in Wonderland but I never really read that when I was younger. I would have to say The BFG by Roald Dahl. I remember reading that one a couple times.

2. What are you reading right now?
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. I’m really enjoying it.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None. I really don’t rent from the library very often.

4. Bad book habit?
I don’t think I have any “bad book habits.” I use to lay the book down face down when I was trying to save a page but I don’t do that anymore. I also used to crack the spines bad but that doesn’t happen anymore either.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
None.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
I have a tablet which has the Kindle, Kobo, Nook, and iBooks apps all on it. I usually use the Kindle app though.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I usually read one book at a time but if they are completely different from each other then I can read two but it is very rare.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I analyze a book a little differently so that I can review it.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
The Intruders by Olive Peart

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Oooh now this is a hard question. I would have to say Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, Cinder by Marissa Meyer, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, or Wither/Fever by Lauren DeStefano

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?

I really don’t very often. Every once in a while I will pick up a contemporary book but I’m very on edge about those books.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
I usually stick to Young Adult which I can read almost anything but heavy paranormal (ie: vampires, werewolves) or high fantasy. I also stick to a pretty limited selection of authors for Adult Romance or Adult Horror.

13. Can you read on the bus?
I don’t take the bus so I will say for vehicles in general then no. I usually get some motion sickness.

14. Favorite place to read?
Curled up on my couch or a comfy chair.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I don’t lend out my books. I rarely trust people to not damage them.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
NEVER!

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Also NEVER!

18. Not even with text books?
Nope not even in a text book.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English is the only language I know.

20. What makes you love a book?
When it has awesome characters, plot twists and you find yourself thinking about it long after you finish the book.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If I really loved the book and you read the same type of books then I would definitely recommend it.

22. Favorite genre?
It used to be Adult Romantic Suspense but has sense changed to most YA books.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
I don’t know if this really counts but I wish I read more poetry.

24. Favorite biography?
I don’t believe I’ve ever read one.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
No and I never intend on reading one.

26. Favorite cookbook?
If I need a recipe I Google it.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
I can’t say I’ve read any inspirational books.

28. Favorite reading snack?
I usually don’t eat while I read for fear that I will get something on the pages. If I’m reading from my Kindle then maybe chips or cookies.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
I don’t think this has happened to me yet.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Sometimes I do. I usually only get opinions from YouTube or Goodreads.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I hate giving a bad or negative review but I always stick to how I honestly feel so if that’s the case then that is what I write. I never try to take it out on the author though.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
Spanish. That would be nice to add to my resume.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
I’ve read a couple Stephen King books when I was younger that were rather large but that’s about it..

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Under the Dome by Stephen King. Over 1000 pages! Yikes!

35. Favorite Poet?
Don’t have one.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Don’t really check out books but usually just a couple at a time if I do.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
It happens.

38. Favorite fictional character?
I don’t have one that immediately comes to mind so I don’t think I have one.

39. Favorite fictional villain?
Again, I don’t think I have one that really stands out.

40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?
I don’t have anything specific. Whatever I feel like reading at the time.

41. The longest you’ve gone without reading.
If we are counting since I have gotten back into reading then probably a week.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
The Intruders by Olive Peart.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
The internet definitely (mostly YouTube). I rarely read at home because I have two kids and a husband that I cannot read with.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
I have only seen four, I think, but I would have to choose Harry Potter.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?

Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist.

 46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Well I have spent over $100 online but probably $60 at an actual bookstore.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Boring plot and characters

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
I have them organized alphabetically by author’s last name with the series together.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
Definitely keep them. If I really hated a book then I sell it and get a new one.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Not really.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
The Intruders by Olive Peart

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Can’t really think of one.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Anything Romantic Suspense.



Today (and everyday), I’m thankful for my children, my wonderful husband, and the rest of my family and of course no one would be anywhere with a handful of good friends! There are of course so many other things I am thankful for too.

 

What are you guys thankful for??? Let me know in the comments if you do this survey too!

3 comments:

  1. This is a really fun survey! Is anyone allowed to do this survey? I'd really like to do it on my blog!

    Thanks, Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Absolutely! I would love to see your answers!

      Delete
    2. Oh, okay. :) I'll start working on it now!

      Delete

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!