Tuesday, October 2, 2012

2B Tuesday #2


2B Tuesday...Where you show a book that has been sitting on your shelf (or on your ereader) just waiting to be read! It can be new or have been sitting there for a long time. Just show that book some love and let us know why you bought it or why it has been sitting there!

Want to participate? Here’s how!
·         Follow Laura’s Adventures in Bookland as host of this meme.
·         Please use the button my wonderful husband has created somewhere in your post or on your blog. Help spread the word! The code will be at the bottom of the post. (coming soon)
·         Link back to Laura Adventures in Bookland somewhere in your post.
·         Leave the link to your post below.
·         Read others posts and enjoy!

 

Crank by Ellen Hopkins
Paperback,
537 pages
Published October 5th 2004 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Goodreads|Amazon 

In Crank, Ellen Hopkins chronicles the turbulent and often disturbing relationship between Kristina, a character based on her own daughter, and the "monster," the highly addictive drug crystal meth, or "crank." Kristina is introduced to the drug while visiting her largely absent and ne'er-do-well father. While under the influence of the monster, Kristina discovers her sexy alter-ego, Bree: "there is no perfect daughter, / no gifted high school junior, / no Kristina Georgia Snow. / There is only Bree." Bree will do all the things good girl Kristina won't, including attracting the attention of dangerous boys who can provide her with a steady flow of crank.
Soon, her grades plummet, her relationships with family and friends deteriorate, and she needs more and more of the monster just to get through the day. Kristina hits her lowest point when she is raped by one of her drug dealers and becomes pregnant as a result. Her decision to keep the baby slows her drug use, but doesn't stop it, and the author leaves the reader with the distinct impression that Kristina/Bree may never be free from her addiction.

I bought this book a couple weeks ago and I can’t wait to read it. I haven’t read anything by Ellen Hopkins yet and I have heard so many great things about her books. They are rather intimidating to look at but I always forget that they are written in verse so they aren’t that bad.

This is the first book I remember seeing by her so when I found it at HPB I had to buy it. I hope to get to it in a couple of months because if I like her writing I would like to read a lot more of her books.

Have you read any Ellen Hopkins books? If so, what are your thoughts on them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!