Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James


Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James
Goodreads|Amazon
Paperback, 514 Pages
Published June 21, 2011 by Vintage

When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever


I have very conflicting feelings about this book. So I will just give my honest thoughts.

I was teetering on the edge on my decision to buy this or not. One of my friends was reading it and really recommended it. So I went ahead and picked it up on a random trip to Barnes & Noble. It has sat on my shelf for a good couple months. The more people were raving (or ranting) about it the more I lost interest in reading it. I was hearing about it EVERYWHERE! It was getting annoying. However I don’t like to waste money so I knew I would have to read it at some point. Finally the time came and it was added to my summer reading challenge.
I had absolutely no urge to read this book. From the second I picked it up I had all intention of just skimming through it. I had read part of the first chapter off of Amazon or Barnes & Noble so I just skipped up until I didn’t recognize it anymore, which was the part where she is meeting Mr. Grey.  I was pretty much hooked from the start.

I had no real problems with the writing style. It definitely wasn’t my favorite but there are some people that really hate it. My favorite parts to read were the emails or texts. It was kind of fun to see how they changed the subject throughout the conversations and that almost was a conversation in and of itself. You also got the chance to read the email as she would. It is so easy to not be able to tell if someone is joking or not in a text and email and Ana says the same thing in the book.

Ok, let’s talk about the characters.

Anastasia (Ana) Steele – Besides the fact that I like her name; I could really care less about her. I actually think she is kind of dumb.

Christian Grey – He is the reason I kept reading. I am actually interested in what happened to him to make him the way he is now. Oh and I should probably mention he is a total stalker! If I was Ana I would be trying my hardest to get away from him. Total Creeper.

Katherine Kavanagh – I didn’t really like her either. She was kind of nosey. There were certain things that were said by her that no best friend would say. I don’t care how much a friend you are. It was awkward!

“Mrs. Robinson” – I also want to keep reading because I want to know who she really is!
The only reason I want to read the next book is because I want to know about Christian Grey. If it wasn’t for him and his story then this book probably would’ve gotten a much lower rating.

This was the first “Erotica” book that I have read. The sexual stuff wasn’t bad; however, if you are totally against BDSM stuff or you are embarrassed easily. Then obviously you should be reading this book.  I really don’t have much to say about it. To each his own I guess.
Rating:


Laters, baby.  ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting review!
    Personally, I am not a fan of Fifty Shades of Grey and will not continue the series but I like what you said. I'm a person who was really bothered by the writing style --it's not great in my opinion but I agree with your assessment on the characters! Christian Grey is probably the most interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!