Friday, July 19, 2013

Review: The Elves and the Shoemaker: The Graphic Novel retold by Martin Powell


The Elves and the Shoemaker: The Graphic Novel retold by Martin Powell
Illustrated by Pedro Rodriguez

Hardcover, 
40 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Stone Arch Books
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Emrick the shoemaker discovers several tiny elves living inside a magical forest painting.
 
 
My Review:
Out of all the Martin Powell graphic novel retellings I have read, this one is my favorite. This is another one that I have never actually heard the original story. I have heard several retellings though. This one was a pretty good one. Therefore I really don’t have too much to talk about.
I really liked the illustrations in this book. The way the elves are drawn are almost on the creepy side, although they are nice and only do good things. I’ve always enjoyed the story of The Elves and the Shoemaker because it shoes that if you are a good person and do what you can for people then good things will happen for you. I definitely recommend picking this one up.
As with the other Martin Powell graphic novels, this has a page of the characters in the front and the discussion questions and writing prompts in the back. In the back of this book there is also a page that has some random characters from some of his other graphic novel retellings. Two of them include the Golden Goose and Tom Thumb. I would love to pick these up and will have to look out for them at the library.
 
My Rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!