Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review: Beauty and the Beast: The Graphic Novel retold by Michael Dahl


Beauty and the Beast: The Graphic Novel retold by Michael Dahl
Illustrated by Luke Feldman
Hardcover, 33 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by Stone Arch Books
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

In a dark forest, a merchant picks a rose for his daughter Beauty. It belongs to a terrible beast. To save his life, the merchant promises that his daughter will visit the creature. When she does, Beauty grows to like the beast. But can she ever love him?


My Review:

Well I have to say I was a little disappointed with this graphic novel. This is such a great story from my childhood and I don’t think there is one person that doesn’t know this story. Whether it’s because they know the original or they have seen the Disney movie. The Disney movie is great but the original is a little bit darker than that, obviously.

This however was very short and I feel it let a lot out. One minute she is going to the Beasts house then the next she is in love and then he is dying. I felt if they made this even a little bit longer it could have been better. The graphics weren’t anything special either. I feel they lacked detail and just could have been better also. This story just didn’t add anything new or unique.

It does have some discussion questions and other tidbits of info at the end of the book which is neat for younger children or classrooms.

My Rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!