Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: Them by L.A. Weatherly


Them by L.A. Weatherly
Paperback, 73 pages
Published January 1st 2013 by Stoke Books

Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

They are the most popular girls in school. If you're in, you're cool. If you're out, you're nobody. How far would you go to get in with Them? One unlucky boy is about to find out.











My Review:

Well I had never heard of this book before but the size of it and the synopsis peeked my interest so I decided to pick it randomly at the library. After some research I have found out that it is suitable for struggling, reluctant, and dyslexic readers. 

Let’s talk about the size first. This is a short story, only 73 pages, and the font is pretty big. This makes it a very quick read. Even though it was so short I still really enjoyed it. When it comes to short stories I have different expectations. I know there is going to be less description, world building, and things like that. It’s up to the author to work around that to still make it a good story. I believe this author did just that.

This story is about a freshman girl named Kylie who lives with her mom and little sister Jenna. They have just come from a homeless shelter into a crappy apartment. They seem to have run away from her stepdad and Kylie feels it is all her fault they are in this situation. Soon after arriving Kylie runs into a pimply faced nerd name Adam who lives in her apartment building. He manages to strike up a conversation, much to Kylie’s disgust. Then at school he seems to think they are friends.

Kylie is determined not to be bullied like she was in her old school so as soon as she spots the popular girl, Jaz, she is decides she has to become her friend. Without giving anything away she manages just that and they come up with a plan to make Adam “get what he deserves”. It is pretty cruel and I felt so sorry for him. I also felt sorry for Kylie during most of it, although she didn’t have to follow through. I could see how someone would try anything to keep from being bullied. That however is how new bullies are created. Jaz is your typical popular girl. She is the leader of the 9th grade and everyone wants to be her friend, although she is very a bitchy mean girl.

The very end of the story was bittersweet. I didn’t see that coming but it worked out perfectly. I was really happy for Kylie. I almost wish the story would have continued on a little more. With the right details this could probably make a good contemporary novel.

I definitely recommend picking this up, especially since it’s such a short read.

 

My Rating:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!