Saturday, May 11, 2013

Review: Stephen King's The Stand: American Nightmares (Graphic Novel) by Roberto Aquirre-Sacasa


*Warning* This is the second book in a series and may contain spoilers!

The Stand: American Nightmares by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Adaptor), Stephen King (Story)
Mike Perkins (Illustrator), Laura Martin (Illustrator)

Stephen King’s – The Stand Graphic Novel Series, #1
Hardcover, 144 pages
Published November 25th 2009 by Marvel
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

The deadly super flu Captain Trips has devastated the country and now the few survivors must pick up the pieces and go on. Larry Underwood seeks escape from New York City. Lloyd contemplates an extremely unsavory dinner option in jail, and Stu Redman makes a desperate bid for freedom from his interrogators. Most ominous of all, the strange being called Randall Flagg continues his dread journey across the devastated landscape of America.


My Review:

This is a continuation of the first volume of Stephen King’s graphic novel adaption of The Stand. Check out my review of the first novel HERE!

This book starts where the first book leaves off. We follow the same characters, as well as meetings some new ones. We learn a little more about the mysterious Randall Flagg in this book too. I would like to see what this guy is all about. As it says in the synopsis, most of the country is dead and only a few people survive. The few surviving people are having trouble doing just that.

This book has a little less action than the first installment but there are still some rather graphic illustrations. There is a certain scene with the Lincoln Tunnel which gave me a bit of the shivers. I really enjoy when things are true to what they should look like. I don’t think the end of the world is supposed to be pretty.

In this volume people are starting to have more nightmares involving the man with no face. Who is Randall Flagg but these people don’t know that. These scenes are all very creepy. You can definitely get the feeling of how much of a nightmare this really is supposed to be.

Not too much to talk about without adding spoilers so I will just stop here!

Do I Recommend this Book/Series?

Absolutely.

Will I Read the Next Book?

I can’t wait to read the next one!

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!