Monday, April 8, 2013

Mini Monday #33



Mini Monday: Where my son and I do two “mini” reviews on two children’s books. Each book will get a Thumbs up, Middle Thumb, or Thumbs down rating!

Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
Pigeon Series
Hardcover, 
40 pages

Published
April 1st 2003 by Disney-Hyperion
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-a pigeon! But you've never met one like this before. As he pleads, wheedles, and begs his way through the book, children will love being able to answer back and decide his fate. In his hilarious picture book debut, popular cartoonist Mo Willems perfectly captures a preschooler's temper tantrum.

 

Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late by Mo Willems
Pigeon Series
Hardcover
, 36 pages
Published April 1st 2006 by Disney-Hyperion
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

The star of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Hyperion, 2003) returns in another irresistible tale. Hurrying away to brush his teeth, the pajama-clad bus driver implores readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Youngsters are thrust into the role of caregiver as the puerile pigeon attempts to talk his way out of the inevitable, coming up with requests that range from manipulative (I hear there's a good show about birds on TV tonight. Should be very educational) to cajoling (Y'know, we never get to talk anymore. Tell me about your day-¦) to classic (Can I have a glass of water?). Meanwhile, the fowl fights yawns and tries to keep his wide eye open, despite a drooping lid. Defying drowsiness to the last, he finally falls asleep, clutching his stuffed bunny tightly under his wing. Set against comfortably faded pastel backgrounds, the cartoon artwork focuses tightly on the main character, with his comments presented in dialogue balloons. The black-crayon lines speak volumes, as the pigeon's body language and the positioning of his ever-expressive eye humorously convey each nuance of the text. Children will be charmed by this bedtime treat, which will have them laughing out loud at the pigeon-and at themselves.-Joy Fleishhacker, School Library Journal

 


I figured since these are both pretty much the same book just with different story lines I could easily review them both in one take. These are the 3rd and 4th book by Mo Willems that I have read to my children and they seem to really enjoy these books. The all the same basic outline and pictures which include very simple pages with only the pigeon or maybe one other object on the page. They both have a 8 panel spread across two pages with the pigeon begging in different ways to try to persuade the reader to let him do what he wants. There is also a yelling page which my son seems to find quite funny.

My son was really excited to see that I had picked these up at the library. He says he likes everything about both books but enjoyed “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late” the most. These books are easy enough for my 6 year old kindergartener to read and I think the same would go with any beginning reader that has the basics down.

I will continue to look for my Mo Willems Pigeon books as my son would like to read them all. I suggest you read this or have your children read it if they like simple but funny books!

My Rating:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!