Sunday, March 17, 2013

Mini (Monday) Sunday #29


*I really wanted to review St. Patrick’s Day themed children’s books but Monday was just too far away and I didn’t want to post them after St. Patrick’s Day so we are just going to do something crazy! Hope you enjoy! Watch out for tomorrow because there will still be a regular Mini Monday up!*
 
 

Mini Monday SUNDAY! Where my son, Mitchell, and I do two “mini” reviews on two children’s books. Each book will get a Thumbs up, Middle Thumb, or Thumbs down rating!


There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Clover by Lucille Colandro
Illustrated by Jared D. Lee
Paperback, 32 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Cartwheel Books
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

There was an Old Lady who swallowed things over and over, and now she's come back to swallow a clover!

She's back! That lovely old lady has returned just in time for St. Patrick's Day. Now she's swallowing items to make the perfect rainbow to hide a pot of gold.
 


Well I have to say Mitchell and I were disappointed with this book. Mitchell didn’t like the artwork in this book “because it looked all wrinkly”. I’m not sure I would use that description but I sort of agree with him. The way the illustrator sketches the shadows it makes the old woman look like she has a beard. Most of the pictures were full page or close to it.

Mitchell says the story was ok. It wasn’t nearly as fun as the original. The original story made sense. This story just doesn’t really flow. It’s just random. The only thing that made this book St. Patrick’s Day related was that she swallowed a pot of gold and a clover then a leprechaun showed up and they danced.

So I had no idea there was an entire set of these books until I looked it up on The Book Depository! I am definitely going to have to get (and review) all of them because I have some obsession about having the entire collection.

My Rating:


 

The Luckiest St. Patrick’s Day Ever! by Teddy Slater
Illustrated by Ethan Long
Paperback, 32 pages
Published February 1st 2008 by Cartwheel Books
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Share in this leprechaun family's charming St. Patrick's Day celebration, complete with a fun parade and an Irish feast!

The St. Patrick's Day parade is off to a very fine start.
The Leprechaun family is marching with lots of heart!
Share in their dancing, share in their fun.
You'll have the luck of the Irish when this day is done!

Top o' the morning! It's March 17th, and the Leprechauns are gathered for their favorite day of the year. Join them as they celebrate St. Patrick's Day with music, dancing, and a parade!

Teddy Slater's delightful rhyming story is accompanied by lively illustrations from Ethan Long.
 

Well if you have been following my Mini Monday’s then you know my son and I love a good rhyming book.  This book was cute. My son really liked this one. The book had full page colorful graphics that both my son and I enjoyed. Mitchell said his favorite part was the end. I would have to agree with that. I will end this Mini Monday Sunday on a quote from that book.

My Rating:

 

“May the luck of the Irish be with you today!” – The Luckiest St. Patrick’s Day Ever!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!