Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: Cow Boy - A Boy and His Horse by Nate Cosby

Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse by Nate Cosby
Illustrated by Chris Eliopoulos 

Hardcover
, 96 pages
Published May 29th 2012 by Archaia Entertainment
Goodreads|Amazon


"Justice ain't got no age."

Nate Cosby (
Pigs, Jim Henson’s The Storyteller) and Chris Eliopoulos (Franklin Richards, Misery Loves Sherman) present Cow Boy, the story of a young bounty hunter determined to send his entire outlaw family to jail. He travels the Old West on a horse that ain't his and won’t stop 'til everyone'a his kin's in the clink.

Also in this volume are short stories by the likes of Roger Langridge (
The Muppet Show comic book), Brian Clevinger, and Scott Wegener (Atomic Robo), Mike Maihack (Cleopatra in Space), and Colleen Coover (Jim Henson’s The Storyteller).
 


I like this book. I was reading this book out loud to my son because (for some reason) I thought it was a children’s book (I will talk about that in a second).  My husband was listening too and said I only liked it because I was talking in an accent. That may be true but it was still a good book. I highly recommend using an accent to read this because it makes it so much more fun.

This is a graphic novel that follows around a little boy who is turning in his family for bounty. He is really cute and the book is actually quite funny! Scattered throughout the book are also some short stories by various authors. I really liked a couple of them. One of them is about a man they call The Man with No Underpants. My son thought that story was hilarious. However, it was probably not entirely appropriate for his age.

Now speaking of that, I requested this book because it I thought it was going to be something to read to my son. Now he did like it but I think he was too young to understand some of the things that were going on. I would save this for kids that are a little bit older.  For instance, there is a part where a black man, who I believe is a run-away slave, is getting harassed by some kids. There is a part where a girl is a worker at what seems like a whore house. Then another part with a cross dressing man. So I don’t really recommend this for young kids but I didn’t realize that until I was reading it.

The graphics in this book were good to, I have no complaints on those. I think this book would look great if it was in hardcover.

Overall though I really enjoyed this book and I recommend you pick it up.

My Rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!