Friday, December 21, 2012

Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld


Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Paperback, Reprint Edition, 406 pages
Published May 3rd 2011 by Simon Pulse (first published January 1st 2005)
Goodreads|Amazon

The Uglies series has more than 3 million books in print, has been translated into twenty-seven languages, and spent more than fifty weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. Now all four books feature fresh new covers and will reach an even wider audience.

Tally’s adventures begin in 
Uglies, where she learns the truth about what life as a Pretty really means. She rebels against the surgery that will make her a Pretty, but ultimately succumbs. In Pretties, Tally has forgotten all about her Ugly life, and when she’s reminded, she has a hard time listening. And what little’s left of the old Tally is further compromised inSpecials, because Tally has been transformed into a fierce fighting machine. But when she’s offered a chance to forever improve civilization, will she be able to overcome her brainwashing? The answer is evident years later in Extras, after the Pretty regime has ended. Boundless human creativity, new technologies, and old dangers have been unleashed upon the world. But fame and popularity can be just as dangerous as extreme beauty…



I find it really hard to write a review for this book for some reason. When I closed the book I just found myself thinking; “well OK that wasn't bad.” I wasn't over excited that I finished it. I’m not scrambling to go read the second one (which I have waiting on my shelf along with the 3rd and 4th book). I will definitely read it though. I would like to see where Scott Westerfeld takes the book.

I thought the ending was good. That was when I started to actually have some feelings for the book.
I really can’t say there was anything that I didn't like about this book. However, there isn’t anything I absolutely loved either. I liked it and I don’t feel like I wasted my time by reading it. I think maybe my expectations were too high for it but then again I’m not sure exactly what I was expecting. I knew about the book before I started reading it but I didn't really know any details.

None of the characters really stood out to me either.

As I said, this book really didn’t do anything big for me. I will be reading the next one and I do recommend this book if you like these types of dystopian books. If you have read other books by Scott Westerfeld then you may like this book also, though I have not read anything else by him.

Oh and I love these covers way more than the originals. 

My Rating:
 
(really a 3.5/5 Stars)

Let me know your thoughts on this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!