Friday, November 16, 2012

Review: Cut by Patricia McCormick




Cut by Patricia McCormick
Paperback
, 151 pages
Published February 1st 2002 by Push (first published November 1st 2000)
Goodreads|Amazon

"A tingle arced across my scalp. The floor tipped up at me and my body spiraled away. Then I was on the ceiling looking down, waiting to see what would happen next." Callie cuts herself. Never too deep, never enough to die. But enough to feel the pain. Enough to feel the scream inside. Now she's at Sea Pines, a "residential treatment facility" filled with girls struggling with problems of their own. Callie doesn't want to have anything to do with them. She doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone. She won't even speak. But Callie can only stay silent for so long...
  
I’m not sure what I think of this book. It is a really quick read, even though it took me forever to read it because I’ve had other stuff to do lately. I enjoyed it. I think I mostly enjoyed the other characters. I felt confused about the main character.

They never really explain why she quit talking. I can understand why she was cutting but not why she quit talking. It was one thing that she quit talking it was another that she was afraid to. I just really didn’t understand that. Throughout the whole book I thought something horrible had happened to her. I'm not going to add any spoilers though.

They never really explained who she was talking to throughout parts of the book either. I understand it was a therapist but it obviously wasn’t Claire, the leader of group therapy, so that person was just kind of there. If that makes sense.

The ending was nice. I would’ve liked to see a little more of what was happening after that but I still think it was a satisfying ending. I also would’ve liked to see what happened with some of the other characters. I know the book wasn’t about them but it would’ve been nice.

(I apparently like the word nice today.)
My Rating:

What are your thoughts on this book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!