Saturday, August 4, 2012

Review: Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James

Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James
Goodreads|Amazon
Published January 1, 2011 by Vintage
Paperback, 532 pages
Daunted by the singular tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.
But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven and demanding Fifty Shades.
While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life.

I would have to say this book was definitely different from the first one. I’m not going to go into too much detail because I don’t want to give spoilers to anyone who hasn’t read the books yet. I just find these books funny. They are so overtop sometimes that it’s ridiculous! I just have to laugh.
I have to say that my expectations from the ending of the last book were met. There were a few “scenes” in the book that I felt were written very well. Some could have been written a little better I think. It is rather hard to write a non-spoiler review of a second book. Lol
I was so shocked at how the book ended! It was a good ending over all but the last section I thought was not very good. This entire book, as well as the first one, is written from Ana’s point of view and no one else’s. However, in the very last section she shows someone else’s! That just threw me way off.
I also didn’t realize this when I started in on the first book but this entire book, all 532 pages, was only a timespan of one week! The first book only covered a couple weeks. I feel that some of the more repetitive sex scenes could have been removed. If the author tried really hard she could have probably condensed this down to one book. That of course would not nearly be as fun to read.
I feel the same about all the characters as I did in my review for the first one. I have warmed up to Ana a little more but not by much. I still really dislike “Mrs. Robinson.”  I also really dislike her boss at her new job (you will find out why when you read it.)
Have you read the first one and this one? If you did read this one, are you planning to finish the series?

**EDIT** I was actually mistaken about the one person point of view. I just picked up the third book and started to read the Prologe, which is in Christian's point of view. I then realized that I missed the prologe in the second one! So I was wrong but it did kind of through me off still. Just thought I'd throw this in here.
 Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!