Friday, August 24, 2012

Review: Coraline (Graphic Novel) by Neil Gaiman


Coraline (Graphic Novel) by Neil Gaiman
Paperback, 192 pages
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperCollins
Goodreads|Amazon

Coraline discovered the door a little after they moved into the house.

When Coraline steps through a door in her family’s new house, she finds another house strangely similar to her own (only better). But there’s another mother there and another father, and they want her to stay and be their little girl. They want to change her and never let her go.



Well, I’ve seen the movie, beat the video game, read the book, and now the graphic novel, in that order. I have to say that the movie (which was changed somewhat and a character added) was my favorite. The video game was based on the movie and obviously the graphic novel was based on the book.

This is supposed to be a scary or dark story much like Alice in Wonderland (which is my favorite book). I would have given this book a 5 star rating if it was more like the movie. However the book was still good.

The graphic novel was a little different than the book but the graphics did make up for some of that. You really get a feel for the creepiness of the “other mother” and the rest of characters in the other world. I feel that the book had more description of what Coraline was feeling and that could have been added with more thought bubbles or something.

I find it hard to review this and the book because I saw the movie first. I have a tendency to base things off that because I liked it better.

I think Neil Gaiman did a great job with this overall story and I liked the adaptation of the book into a graphic novel just as much.

I know have the urge to go home and watch the movie. J

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your opinions so please feel free to leave me a comment!